Kristin Chenoweth reveals she’s a survivor of domestic abuse


Kristin Chenoweth has opened up about her experience with domestic abuse.

The Broadway actor, 55, revealed in a series of posts that she was “severely abused” in a past relationship by an unnamed ex. Chenoweth’s admission comes after she had reacted to a video of Sean “Diddy” Combs attacking his ex-girlfriend Casandra “Cassie” Ventura in resurfaced security footage from 2016.

In a post shared to X, formerly Twitter, the Glee star wrote: “Honestly I have my reasons for the Sean Combs video bothering me so much. The main thing I need to do is pray for him.  For real.”

However, her post drew criticism from fans for appearing sympathetic toward Diddy, as one person told Chenoweth to pray for “victims” and not “evil abusers”. In response, she took the opportunity to share her own experience.

“Never wanted to come out with it, but here we go,” Chenoweth began in a separate post. “Several years ago I was severely abused. It took me therapy and prayer to understand I deserved better.

“I was deeply injured physically and spiritually,” she continued. “The only thing I knew to do when I got out was pray. Pray for myself. Pray for him as he grew up abused. So. There y’all go.”

Kristin Chenoweth shares she’s a survivor of domestic abuse (Getty Images for Hearst)

Chenoweth explained in another post that “it was the lowest I’ve been in my life” and confided that “it takes years… to heal” from domestic abuse.

“I must admit I haven’t forgiven yet. It’s beyond me. God is helping me through that part,” she added, as she said she hoped that sharing her experience “helped someone” else.

The singer is currently married to husband Josh Bryant. Prior to their wedding, which took place in September 2023, Chenoweth was engaged to actor Marc Kudisch from 1998 to 2001. She has also previously dated Lane Garrison, Seth Green, Aaron Sorkin, and Dana Brunetti.

The Independent has contacted representatives for Chenoweth for comment.

Chenoweth’s candid posts come after security footage came to light showing Diddy attacking Cassie in a hotel hallway in 2016. The video, obtained by CNN, showed the music mogul in a towel chasing his then-girlfriend down the hallway, before attacking her near the elevators. He then attempted to drag her back down the hallway.

After pushing her to the ground, Diddy retrieved a purse and suitcase from the floor near the elevators. He turned around and kicked her again as she was on the floor. Cassie was later seen in the footage slowly standing up and gathering items from the floor before reaching for a hotel phone on the hallway wall near the elevators. Diddy returned, still in a towel and socks, as a mirror directly across from the security camera showed him shoving Cassie. He was then seen hurling an object at her.

The incident allegedly took place in the InterContinental Hotel in the Century City area of Los Angeles. According to CNN, Combs later paid the hotel $50,000 for the hallway security footage.

The video appeared to corroborate several allegations made in a lawsuit brought by Cassie in November 2023, in which she claimed she was raped and beaten by Diddy on many occasions over 10 years. Diddy and Cassie settled the lawsuit for an undisclosed amount one day after it was filed.

On Sunday 19 May, Diddy posted an Instagram video apologizing for the incident seen in the security footage. He called his behaviour “inexcusable” and said he “takes full responsibility for his actions in the video,” though did not mention Cassie by name.

Diddy referred to the incident as “one of the darkest times in his life”, saying that he was “f***ed up” and is now “disgusted by his actions”.

He said he “has asked God for his mercy and grace” but is “not asking for forgiveness”, adding that he is “truly sorry” and that he sought professional help and went to therapy and rehab in the aftermath of the 2016 incident.

“It’s so difficult to reflect on the darkest times in your life, but sometimes you got to do that,” he said. “I was f***ed up – I hit rock bottom – but I make no excuses. My behaviour on that video is inexcusable.”

The national domestic abuse helpline offers support for women on 0808 2000 247, or you can visit the Refuge website. There is a dedicated men’s advice line on 0808 8010 327. Those in the US can call the domestic violence hotline on 1-800-799-SAFE (7233)

Other international helplines can be found via www.befrienders.org.



Source link

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top